Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Visiting Relatives

First I would like to thank all of you who are leaving comments, especially Nancy Hathaway - Kherson - got it!! I have been confused over the Huliaipole pronunciation for some time. I thought is was two words until I found it on Google Earth.

We have a relative from the US here with us for a day - Steve Huff - Kathie's cousin. He was in Germany and decided to head on down. He came in on the 3 PM train. This is the guy who did the engraving on the Browning Hi-Power that I inherited from Kathie's dad.

After we visited for several hours we decided to take a cab to the Potato House for supper. We had never been there before but we had been to the pizza parlor next door. We walked into the Potato House and the decor is somewhat puzzling - there are pictures of cowboys and Indians super imposed on urban (New York, I believe) pictures. This is not just framed pictures - It is the wall paper - more like a mural. There is one picture of several Indian chief on motorcycles (Indian motorcycles I presume!!). On the ceiling is a huge photo of skyscrapers oriented like you were looking up through them. Also the waiters and cashiers have a pseudo cowboy hat on and western shirts and jeans. So my curiosity got the best of me and I had Elliott ask what gives. He immediately started to roll over in laughter. The cashier said that the food they serve is Mexican in nature (Buffalo wings?) and that is what they depict - not knowing that Mexicans are not Indians. She said that Ukrainians never ask.

The food and wine was great and inexpensive. I had the Chicken steak (Sliced like a steak and very tender!) - the boys finished off the last of their supply of buffalow wings and they said they were tasty.

Another interesting observation to show you that the Ukrainians are getting more western in their orientation - please see the SUV. This is the premier SUV in Ukraine made by the reliable LADA corporation. High ground clearance so that you can climb out of those potholes without bottoming out!!!

3 comments:

ourgirlsstory said...

I love the chicken steak, Alyona will not eat anything but chicken. So I have made a chicken roast (pork) chicken steak (ribeye). Tim says to me the other night there is no such thing as a chicken steak that I am going to goff her up. So now I can show him there is. Thank you. As for the SUV some of the holes we seen it would still never make it out of it. hehehe Tell Oles hi from all of us and we miss him sing in the car to us.

Kevin and Kim McCormack said...

Great to talk to you, Kathie. Please get some rest. I'll pray for you as much as I can, okay? Please just sit back in His arms and let Him take care of everything. He's got it all under control. Let us lift you guys up. You just rest and watch Him do it for you. You are much loved.

Anonymous said...

As we prepare to celebrate our own holiday here - Memorial Day, remember?!...we are thinking of you in "the middle of it." We know this can be a difficult time, so please stay healthy and rest!
We went to the Potato House, the girls took a photo in front of the Indian chief statue, Is it still there? We were equally mystified, and didn't think to ask, what the heck is this about?! But the food was good, that much I recall!
Is the orphanage graduating too? It would be Elizabeth's class. Please LMK -- we would like to call Rita and wish her well. Do you know if she is going to camp, and when camp starts? So many questions - sorry!!!
Love, Jean, Jim & co.