Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tuesday, May 25

We are very fortunate to have a washer in our apartment. The first few days we were here, when we had both apartments, we were running them continuously. Since last Friday, the one in our apartmen t won't spin. These are side loading washers that use very little water but they spin the clothes almost dry – a cycle takes about an hour and a half and you still have to hang the clothes up to completely dry but they are easier than using the tub and ringing the clothes out. So the wash has piled up.

Kathie and I loaded it into two backpacks and took it to the laundromat where they do it for you this morning at 8 am. The weather was great – about 70, sunny with a slight breeze so we didn't sweat too much! When we got to the laundry (Gary – same one we used last time – by the hotel) there was a guy there that spoke as much English as I speak Russian!! kathie started by trying to explain that we had used this laundry in 2006 – I was trying to explain two loads all on the same bill. That's Kath – trying to get the relationship down! I just wanted the laundry done. It is supposed to be done tomorrow – we'll see!!! Ten bucks says that the woman that did our laundry in 2006 recognizes Kathie and does it for free!!!

We exchanged some money and got some breakfast food from a street vendor (I wish this would catch on in America – the food is great!!!!)) headed back to the apartment. We are trying to get Elliott packed up – he is headed to Keersan (can't find it on Google Earth so the spelling is questionable!) to visit Mel's House – a christian outreach to orphans that have aged out of the orphanage and then to Mariupol to visit his sister. Elliott is the greatest kid on earth but he isn't real organized!!! He has a heart as big as Texas but he wouldn't pack underwear without us!!!

Oles had us sign some documents to get the court thing going. He is headed out to Odessa after he applies for a court date – we are praying for June 3!! Oles tells us that even if they give us June 3 that that is not a sure bet – the SDA paperwork may take longer – so everyone on their knees now - lift this up – I love Ukraine but want to get Cody and get back!!!

I took the cab with Oles to the court building so I could head to my favorite wi-fi hotspot to blog on the main drag and watch the people go by.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, we are praying and will continue to do so for the Ukrainian bureaucrats to find favor with all of your papers work, stamps, seals, and signatures, and to allow you to get to court in a timely manner! We want you guys home too! I think we went to the same laundry. I tell you, those ladies did a bang-up job on my sorta new black-dyed stonewashed jeans....the came back to me with most of the dye missing....they must have thought they were really, really dirty! : 0
~Jean H.

Nancy Hathaway said...

OK guys, Elliot is going to KHERSON (city), and he's going to Joshua's House (for boys) and Esther's House (for girls)which are both there. Mel's House is just outside of Berdyansk where you are! :). And Kath, Guliopole is pronounced WHO-le-a-pol-ye. (a real gutteral WHO that sounds like you're gargling)-got that?

JK... really, I don't know how you both are keeping it together with all the drama! I'd be a basket case. Like Marcia says, you're our favorite new reality show.

We love you guys and are praying for you!

Cooka said...

I love hearing Dave's description of the food! Glad to know he's not suffering for nourishment. For some reason I had the idea ya'll would be really ruffing it, but that's my narrow thinking.
We leave in just awhile to go pick Ashley up from the Richmond airport. She'll be with us till Friday @ 6am when she flies back. We have a fun weekend planned. Avery's spending the night with us Friday nite & I've made an appointment with Kathie Lachine to do some photographing of her! sat. we head back to Richmond to help Travis & Jennie with moving into there new home. Then Sunday afternoon we'll head for the Rivah house. We've invited several folks to come down... I hope the weather's nice. I had hoped you (Kath) were going to call me last weekend... Kimmie said you might call... she filled me in on the latest. I know you must be glad Dave is back with you!
That's it from the Burg!
Love & Miss you, Cooka :)

Anna said...

Hi guys,
I am from Berdyansk and know that area so well. I love reading your posts. They make me laugh a lot. I live in Georgia, USA now. I can understand what you feel. You guys are great and kind people! God bless you!
Anna