Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Anxiety is Setting In!

Oles left for Odessa on Tuesday so we are on our own! We have gotten laundry dropped off, picked up and I have had to take a taxi to the courthouse to drop off documents. Now Oles needs me to go to Zaporozhya and pick up a document for court. It doesn't have to be done right away so I am going to try to work it in with dropping the boys off to catch the train. I also want to minimize my costs. So.... do I take the bus to Zap or hire a cab? It would have to be a huge cab to take all the luggage...Then when I get to Zap we have to get the boys to the train, I have to get the documents and then find the bus back to Berdyansk. Then I will have to do it all over again after court to take Kathie to Kyiv - only then I will also take the train up and back. I'm up for an adventure but also somewhat perplexed about what to do. I really need your prayers for this adventure!!

Elliott will be a big help on the first trip. The train to Kyiv leaves in the late afternoon or evening so he can ride the cab with me to get the document and get me back on the bus before they head up on the train. I'll have to be focused on what he does so I can guide Kathie up there.

That will happen on Monday so I have three days to plan it. Kathie gonna call some folks in Zap and Kyiv to see what else we can work out.

It is another very nice day in Berdyansk. Some clouds - mostly sunny about 71 degrees - slight breeze, low humidity. I checked the weather and it is supposed to heat up next week to the low 80's. Until now we haven't had to use the air conditioner at the apartment.

We dropped off Steve at the bus station in the early evening yesterday - he was headed to see friends in Militopal. Then I took the boys to eat at the Hotel. Kath was feeling tired - keep her in your prayers as she is wiped out from all the walking and organizing and she might have some little bug also - she was coughing this morning.

We were woke up by loud music blaring from a PA system across the street at the school - it appears that today was graduation. all the girls had on black skirts and whdite bouses and the guys had on black slacks and white shirts. The all had a red banner over their shoulder. the music was blaring for about an hour and there were lats of adults milling about.

I am down on the promenade now and I see there are also lots of girls wearing what looks like maid outfits with a white stockings and a white banner and these guys have on black sport coats and the white banner also - maybe another school???? Lots of folks out also - I wonder if it's another holiday??? I hate it when they have holidays and don't tell me about it - guess I'll have a piva to celbrate whatever it is.....

As I am sitting here observing people I need to vocalize an observation - the man purse. Here in Ukraine, most of the guys have them. These aren't the small backpack like Paul Copeman uses - these are... well... purses! Some look like a camera bag on a long strap but some have a handle and are... well... purses! What do they put in there? Mascara? Lip gloss? Their billfold? Comb? Change purse? Should I get one to fit in? Maybe I'll get Nick one first to try it out. If he doesn't use it, I'll forget it. I asked Oles about them and he said they originated when the iron curtain fell and all the Russian mafia had them - that kinda worries me cause you could only put a small gun in there ( kinda feminine... maybe a 25 caliber)... not like the violin cases of the twenty's in the US - those were real gangster's....


7 comments:

Passanita Family said...

Sounds like a real adventure but far from wonderland, huh? I'll send some Zap contact info to Kathie for a few people that might be able to help you there. Enjoy the rest of your time. Hope things go smoothly and speedily

Anonymous said...

Ok so I'm reading your blog and then you express your thought onthe man bag...I think I have laughed too hard this morning reading it! I probably would have my son try it out 1st too but I know that it is not the coll thing for 14 year olds! Can't wait to read the next entry! I love when Kathie writes b/c I can feel her emotions(been catching up, laughing, & crying this morning) but you have a funny spin on yours so yall keep tag teaming it!
Natasha

Cooka said...

ONLY Kathie would be fortunate enough to have "family" visit while in Ukraine! You never cease to amaze me girlfriend! I sure hope you're not getting sick, been praying but will get specific for sure!

Won't be satisfied until you're ALL back safe & sound.

Heavenly Hugs, Cooka :)

Unknown said...

In reference to the man-purse, "It's not a purse...IT'S european!!" according to Seinfeld. I didn't watch the show much, but I saw this hysterical episode and everytime I see a "European carryall" I think of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnKRbEPbItE
Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

dave, get a purse. deffinitely. i've seen them in europe and they look sharp. about the gun....you might bring one home for me! really missing you and praying for your train?bus? cab decisions. take the one with least resistance and we'll pray for the money to cover it! love, ann

Anonymous said...

I lost my passport in Canada. Gave me a whole new perspective on paper work. Found myself praying for you guys regarding credentials etc. I did make it back into the country, hope to welcome you all home, soon. Kisses, Carla

Cooka said...

O.K. you guys, I 'm jus a bit concerned that you haven't blogged since Thursday! I hope kathie is not sick & Dave is lost somewhere in Ukraine OR Siberia!
Hope to here something from ya'll soon.

We've had Avery for 2 straight nights instead of 1 as Travis & Jennie's move into their new location was more involved than they'd anticipated. FINE with us!
It's been wonderful, she's such a sweetie! can't wait for you to meet her!
Love ya! Heavenly Hugs, Cooka :)