Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thursday, June 10


Cody and I went down by the sea yesterday afternoon. It was pretty warm and we had not brought our suits so we didn't go swimming – but we will probably do that today – because it is already warmer than yesterday and it is only 9:30. In the picture of Cody, he is standing in a cupola with columns thet have a metal railing and all over the railing are padlocks – some huge

and some tiny – most have something written on them, engraved on them and some have something welded on them! If anyone knows what this is all about – I'm dying to know!!!

We had some ice cream and then we headed for the apartment. We took the Marshriutka which

was extremely hot. Although the body odor was intense I was the only one visibly sweating. We

got out at our stop and headed straight for the apartment where the a/c was running good!

About 5:30, Cody and I headed to the little market with the tables in the shade on the Boulevard (the little park about a block from the apartment. There were only three or four tables set out in

the past and maybe ten people sitting there. Today there were eight tables and about 20 folks sitting at them. I had a bottle of Slavutich piva and Cody had a Fanta Lemon Lime. We got the table closest to the boulevard under the tree. I noticed thet there were these two guys about 10 feet from us and one was definitely slurring his words – he was a pretty good sized feller too! Also noticed there was a bug or two walking up the side of his face and he didn't seem to mind – probably kinda numb. In Ukraine, they sell beer in 2 liter plastic bottles – somewhat larger than the 40's I've seen in the states. This feller was sucking the last few drops from his bottle.

So, Cody and I have been enjoying about 30 minutes of near solitude and I am almost done with my beer when the guy at a table next to the intoxicated guy decides that he is kinda unhappy with some thing. The both stand – well the one guy stands and the intoxicated feller stumbles to his feet and staggers, then the other guy hits him and he comes flying back at Cody and I's table and falls on it collapsing the table – by this time Cody and I are on our feet backing up on the boulevard. The intoxicated guy ain't moving much and the other guy comes over and starts kicking him in the head – this is where I grab Cody's hand and point to the apartment. As we leave we turn to see what is going on and about 10 guys are attending to the drunk feller and the attacker is wa;llking the opposite way down the boulevard.

Here I thought the boulevard was a safe family gathering place! The only times I have seen a drunk here was once or twice along the road as they were sleeping it off or once or twice along the promenade as they begged. I definitely have not seen any violence anywhere; the Ukrainians

seem to be very gracious overall if not mostly quiet and private.

So we headed back to the apartment and watched a kung fu movie that the boys left here – definitely did not need to know English to understand this one – in fact I though t about turning the sound off as it was detracting from the movie!!

At 8:30, I walked Cody back to the Orphanage – we were karate chopping each other the entire way – with a few ninja moves thrown in. Ukrainians probably think that Americans are pretty juvenile – I don't care – it was fun!!!!

Here is a photo I found interesting. They are putting a two story porch on the front of the Atlantis night club. I have been watching the progress trying to figure it out. They have put a

stairway on each side. The other side is done and here they are welding in the landing between the two sections of stairs. Notice that the landing is being supported by the crane. After they welded in the lower section of stairs, they put a support under the landing and remover the temporary supports. Should it have been done from the ground up?

I

am at the Hotel having breakfast again – my new favorite place. I took the Marshriutka again and it was the most packed I have seen! I didn't worry about pickpockets cause I couldn't even get my own hand in my pocket. It was mostly a bunch of older women in their late fifty's – wait a minute – I'm in my late fifties! At least there wasn't any body odor that I could detect and I didn't smack any babuska's.

OK - here it is - new sunglasses - my idea not Cody's but he likes them! Cody just pointed out that I have not posted a pic of his new tennies - there are in the photo with the sunglasses and this was taken last week last week

when we got them.

5 comments:

Nancy Hathaway said...

Dave - I'm getting concerned about you. That piva seems to be your new routine! You're having entirely too much fun.
You need a little variety to your restaurant routine. Try "the Owl" (downtown near the first fountain), or the Armenian restaurant up the stairs from the market (I'll get the name)
~Nancy

The Schweickerts said...

Hi Honey,
Your son, Nicholas just told me what the padlocks were for. When couples get married they put their names and dates on a padlock and lock it on the columns. Pretty cool, eh?
Have fun today! PLEASE COME HOME SOON!

Kevin and Kim McCormack said...

You are loved and missed, Dave. But I'm having too much fun reading your blog so don't come home! I would be jealous of you having so much fun with Cody except that I'm having so much fun with Kairos. I enjoy him more every day. I would love to get into Cody's head and know a little about what he's thinking, wouldn't you?

Anonymous said...

Wow, adventures in Ukraine! Glad that the babushkas were safe from you today. Bet you are counting the days. Stay cool! (It was 95 for the 2 days we were in Zap when we were there...and yes, it seemed like the Americans were the only ones sweating. I chalk that up to a lack of water in the daily diet over there!) Tell Cody Eliz says HI!
~ Jean & co.

Quasimodo said...

Right on Kathie! You see them on bridges and special more romantic places everywhere. If they could just get a second big lock for the vodka cabinet, more of those marriage locks would be more relevant : )