Friday, June 11, 2010

Friday, June 11

Monday is June 14 - it is the 10th day and it is also an anniversary for me - 39 years ago, I left my parent's home and started my active duty with the US Navy. I remember that I was excited and somewhat apprehensive because I didn't really know what was going to happen. I wonder if that is the way that Cody feels about going to America? Elliott and Nicky had experiences that were very different from each other - Nicky is always just on to the next thing in his life and Elliott was depressed about leaving his friends and family behind. I think that Cody will be somewhere in between.

I have been very pleased that Cody just wants to hang!! He has played some soccer in the mornings when he hasn't had exams but when I pick him up we just go do whatever I want (hear that kath? He's spoiling me!!).

Last night we went to the Rio restaurant to eat again. The do not have an English menu so I had Cody order me fish. I was wondering what they were doing because it took about an hour to get our food - but it was great! I had Pelangas - whatever that is - it is a teder white fish and I had mashed potatoes. Cody had Dihruni (again) and then we took the #5 Marshriutka to the orphanage.

This Marshriutka was more like an old bus with a door in the front and the back on the side and was taller so you could stand up straight although there were plenty of seats. They also gave receipts! A guy came back and collected the 2 rph and gave you a small ticket from a roll that was numbered. All the other Marshriutka's that I have taken - you just pass the money to the driver and tell whoever you give it to how many it is for (udeen, duva, tree...) and then they pass back your change.

Two older boys from the orphanage got on the bus and Cody talked with them while we traveled to our destination. We got off at the corner by the orphanage and I walked him to the gate. We used to pass through the fence where it was bent next to a pole but they welded a piece of steel there so you can't get through! They must have seen me squeezing through and decided that they needed to keep the old fat men out!!!

It was another nice night out so I walked back to the apartment. There are a lot of folks outside at night, walking and riding their bikes - this is around 8:30 to 9:30 and it is not quite dark yet.

I am at the hotel again - having my favorite breakfast. When it was served today, I was surprised as it looked different - the cheese was shredded on the top and there were other spices sprinkled on the edge of the plate and some garnish. It looked alot like the Caesar Salad except it was missing the mayo. It actually tasted better than yesterday's eggs! Must be another chef today!!! I wonder how I would ask for them done like this again???

Not sure what Cody and I will do today - I may try to get him early and head for the water park - I know how to get there - take the #17 till you hear the banjo music!! I wonder if they have ever seen a great white whale in the Azov sea? I read the Steen's blog and they are going there with a group from the Zaporozhya orphanage and it would be nice to see them.

No comments: