Monday, June 07, 2010

Back in Berdyansk

Boy what an awesome trip. And let me start by giving God the glory for it!!!

Doug Stoddard picked me up about 3:30 and took me to the Smile House that is his ministry. There are constructing a halfway house for kids that age out of the orphanage and a dentist office out of an existing duplex outside Kyiv in an area where huge homes are being built. I can see that this will be a ministry above and beyond just the orphans. He was explaining the Ukrainian construction methods and now I am beginning to understand why the concrete flakes here - they don't know how to mix it!!!

WE picked up some fresh salad fixins and headed to his house where Suzie already had supper waiting. Doug and Suzie really know how to make you feel welcome!!! After and awesome dinner, Doug took me to the train station. Along the way we passed the Schweickert's favorite restaurant - Da Mario's. We did not get the chance to eat there yet - but Cody and I will be in Kyiv for three days at least and we may get the opportunity.

The first blessing I encountered at the train station - I really thought that I would have trouble finding the train. No problem!!! There is a huge board with the train numbers and the tracks they are on and I studied my Russian Book so I would recognize "To the Trains". They have about 30 tracks and each platform entry is numbered. Found the Track - found my car and I was there 30 minutes early!

Now the second blessing - I had bought a first class ticket cause they were out of regular tickets. First class is two to a compartment with no upper berths and the lowers are already made up with a nice beadspread to sit on. There is also a silver tray with two glasses on it (whoopee!). Here's the blessing - no one bought the other berth!!! I had it to myself!!! The train up from mariopal was actually nicer but I enjoyed it!!!!

When I arrived in Zaporozhya, I had cosidered walking to the bus - but there are three bus stations - two kinda close and on several KM's away. So I called Oles and he got me a taxi. The station was the close one - six blocks and it cost me 20 rph (5 rph is what I expected but 20 is only $2.50) I was getting nervous about buying my ticket so I called Oles just in case - here's the third blessing - the cashier spoke English! and the fourth blessing - the bus left in 5 minutes and I made it!!!

The bus was packed so it was an actual miracle that I was on it. There was on guy that had to sit on the engine cover next to the driver - I got the seat cause I purchased my ticket inside - if you purchase from the driver it's like standby!!!

Got back to Berdyansk at 10:07 AM and am eating breakfast. I have to stop at the Bank and then I am on my way to the apartment.

I learned two new phrases while I was waiting on Doug yesterday, "Where is the bus to Berdyansk?" and "I want a cold piva!" I used the second one twice on the train and and didn't need the first one!!!

2 comments:

Kevin and Kim McCormack said...

Dave, you are hysterical! It is so cool to see how you are being taken care of. I can't wait to hear how you and Cody muddle through. I'm sure there will be some funny stories. Will they let you keep Cody during your wait? I wasn't able to at Zap #3; strictly by the book.

Passanita Family said...

Dave, we are thinking bout you and praying for your safe return with Cody. In the mean time, keep up the blog so we can share in your experience. Love those stories!