Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Having Fun

Now that I am over the hump (court and trip to Kyiv) I am settling back and enjoying my time. I really wish Kath was here to share it with - this is the time we really enjoyed together on our last trip.

I picked up Cody at the orphanage yesterday at about 2:30 - after classes are out. I am not sure if they are really having classes but I know he still has a few tests to take. He had to write a petition and get it approved and then we headed to the Hotel for lunch. We both had Veraneke - kinda like ravioli with some kind of meat in them (didn't see any cats around!) They were delicious. We topped it off with a chocolate cake for me and ice cream with bananas for Cody. Oh yeah - I had a piva and Cody had a fanta.

We took a cab back to the apartment and i ran into Don Norton. We started talking and before I knew it I had been at it for about 30 minutes - Don has that effect on you - he is soooo interesting. I started asking him about the Matriushka (the van like buses that circle the city) and then we got into cars (one of my favorite subjects!!!). Cody is so well behaved!! he started playing solitaire on the computer and never once said anything!! Not like some of my other children!!

Then we made our way to the grocery store to get some stuff for supper. We got some chicken shish-ka-bobs and some potatoes and lotsa other stuff (bananas!) and headed home. We talked, ate and then watched the first half of the "Blind Side" - then it was time for Cody to walk back to the orphanage. I was going to go too but I had to wait for Brittany to get back so I could get my laundry out of her washer. Cody and I will watch the other half tonight. Cody understands alot of the movie - he was explaining it to me and I've seen it!!!

Today I needed to take a load of laundry to get washed - might be my last load! I decided to take the Matriushka, it cost 2 rph and #17 goes past our apartment. I had a packed backpack and my netbook and went to the stop to wait. There were several other folks there and when the first #17 arrived, is was full and so only three more squeezed on - I decided to wait because of my load. About 5 minutes later, the next one stopped and it had 2 seats available. I got on with one other guy an he passed his 2 rph up so I did the same just like I been doin' this for years!!! All the while I pray I'm not headed to a gulag in Siberia (but I do have a lot of clothes if necessary!!!). It finnally loops downtown and stops at the "head in the park" (statue where the Rio Restaurant is) which is just one block from the laundry and it only cost 2 rph!!

Dropped off the laundry, went to the bank to get more rph and now I'm relaxing with a coffee americana. Oh yeah, the difference between Coffee and Cafe is КОФЕ and КАФЕ - Cody pointed it out during my Russian lesson yesterday! See how observant I am!!! I am learning how to recognize certain words like Zaporozhya. I would have thought that there would have been two Z's in it but they are really two different sounds the Z is a З like the English Z and the ZHYA is a Ж and Zaporozhya has two of them in a row!!! So I guess it is really Zaporozhzhya! If you can sound out the letters - many times it is basically the english word with a Russian accent (Simon would like to know that!!!)- video and computer are examples. So much for today's Russian lesson.

I am hopping to meet up with the Steens when we get to Zaporozhya. They should be there by then but I am not sure how much time we will have there. After the ten day waiting period is up (on Monday, June 14) we have to change the birth certificate and get a passport. Since Cody was born in Zap, I thought we would get him and go there anget it done on our way to Kyiv. Well... I can't get him from the orphanage until the Birth Certificate is changed cause the court order says Cody Aleksander Schweickert and his birth certificate says Aleksander Soss... (can't spell it). I am praying that Galena will let us take him before the change so I don't have to go back and forth.

Then the next issue is how long will it take to get a new passport for him. last time we were here it was done while you wait - now it can take up to 10 days. Oles thinks 3 days and I am praying for less than that - I need to get back to work before they realize I'm gone!!!! So I covet all your prayers for that .

After Zap we go to Kyiv for a physical and a visa from the embassy - maybe another 3 days. Then we fly! Cody has never been on a plane!!! Told him that it was about 11 hours - he thought that was cool!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are hanging in there Dave. But we know that you want to get home and resume life with your new, larger, louder family! Praying that the rest goes mega-smoothly, without too many trips back and forth. There is a hotel is Zap with "boiled language" on the English menu...you may have heard this before...but we are pretty sure that meant Boiled Tongue. I know it will be a highlight of your trip, so be sure to ask me for specifics on where to find it!
~Jean & co.

The Quirams said...

Dave,
We're all praying for this final leg of your adventure. What a bucket of memories you're filling!
We'll pray about work--but they've got to understand about international adoptions!
Love, Charlene and Tim